Monday, August 16, 2010

Where is Daddy?

When Absence Doesn't Make a Heart Grow Fonder

Emma recently took on the habit of shouting out "Dada, dada, dada, dada..." as soon as we drove into our neighborhood.  We would pull up to the house and her hands would shoot up like a ref calling a touchdown.  With a big "yeah!" Emma would toddle into the house in pursuit of her beloved, and often hiding, Daddy. 

That habit has now disappeared.

Daddy has been away for 5 days.  Less than a week to me, an eternity to little Emma.  For the first few days, she would wander the house, looking.  When someone said the name Daddy, her face would brighten and she'd be off on the hunt.  And up until Sunday, she would still cheer when we pulled into the driveway.

We have tried the life size cardboard cutout affectionately known as Flat Daddy.  She gives it a suspicious look, she's not fooled.  To her, Daddy is gone.

As I held her close tonight, rocking her again to sleep from an 11pm teething pain, I thought a lot about her and her Daddy.  She loves him with all her heart, but just 5 days away from him and her affection is waining.

Then I thought about my Heavenly Daddy.

I go through seasons when I long to see Him, seasons when with excitement I start my morning ready to witness His presence in my life.  But there are other times when my affections simmer, times when I will go days without a thought of looking for Him.  Emma loves her Daddy and she would look for him constantly because He was constantly there.  My Heavenly Daddy is constantly present as well, but it is I who am unfaithful. 

Emma has gone 5 days without her Daddy, and now she has forgotten to look for him.  When I go 5 days without looking for my Heavenly Father, I begin to forget where He can be found.

What a humbling reminder that I need to keep seeking God daily!

Please take time today to pray for my girls -Emma, Jordan, and Kaiden.  It is a short trip for Daddy this time, but the impact on their hearts, and on mine, has still been great.  And please pray for the families whose Daddys are gone for far longer.  May they know the Heavenly Daddy who is always present.

And Lord, Heavenly Father, thank You for always being present.  I cannot imagine surviving this life without You.

1 comment: