Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Flesh is Weak

I am thankful for babies that wake up at 3am. I am thankful for children who have constant demands. I am thankful for loads of laundry that do not fold themselves and piles of dishes that must be put away. I am thankful for the thousand issues of my day that challenge me.

Jesus said, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Too many times I have had a good intention or a heavenly prompting that was left undone due to laziness. Though my spirit desires to do good, my flesh, my body, just isn't up to the task. It needs a boot camp. It needs to be pulled out of its indulgent, demanding, self-seeking pit and whipped into shape.

With every late night feeding, every meal cooked, every diaper changed, every shirt hung and sock found, every plate scrubbed, I am training my body. I am training it to realize there is something beyond hunger and sleep. I am training it to be ready for the real work - the work of the spirit.

Lord thank you for the trying times, the tiring times, and the mundane times. Thank you for the trials that force me to find strength I did not know I had. Thank you for opportunities to train my body and prepare it for Your tasks.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful sentiment that ALL women, wives, mothers feel but are sometimes too proud to admit. You are right to be blessed by such a calling and feel so inept to do it 'right' some times is overwhleming but God knows and sends the Spirit to Get us through the next task. Thank you for such a sweet reminder.

    ReplyDelete